Friday, October 2, 2009

PSP Go is a no-go

The new incarnation of PSP - called PSP Go - has hit the shelves. Reviews are showing up and are generally not favourable for the new SONY's baby. It's not hard to see why and it's hard not to agree with most complaints. I'd recommended the review published by Arstechnica.

To me, PSP Go is a big disappointement. I was initially very excited when it was first announced and planned to buy one by end of this year but given all the drawbacks and pricing, I'm no longer considering buying it; I'd rather consider a PSP 3004 + a big memory card...

One more thing... As a happy PS3 owner I'm getting frightened and unhappy about all the downloadable content (DLC) fuss. It's becoming obvious, that downloadable games are by no means cheaper than traditional games (in fact, they are often more expensive), you can't buy used games and they often sell you unfinished and crippled games to make you buy additional content for them. Let's hope that tradional boxed games will never disappear and digitial distribution will be limited to mini-games only.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, since I got to know that a new MotorStorm title "Arctic Edge" was released on a PSP only, I have been considering buying one myself. I don't like the way PSP Go looks; I know it's lighter and smaller than its predecessor, but never thought it would be so ugly. I think that as long as the downloadable content is so expensive, the PSP Go will be a failure in our Polish conditions. However, the Poles might want to buy it once it's cracked. As far as I'm concerned, I like PSP 3004 way better...

Pawel Stolowski said...

PSP Go has no advantages over regular PSP and the review by Arstechnica outlines it pretty well... Same battery lifetime, no compatibility with old PSP accessories, only one channel for purchasing new games (Sony), ridiculously high price... You get same capabilities (except for Bluetooth that comes with PSP Go) with PSP-3004 - just buy a big memory stick and you're ready to download all new titles from PS Store if you prefer it over UMD discs.